Health Insurance Reimbursement Tips
Health Insurance Reimbursement
Medical related hair loss due to chemotherapy or other medical conditions such as alopecia and trichotillomania (as well as several others) can be challenging enough without the added stress of identifying and financing the perfect coily, curly, highly textured wig. If you are reading this, then you know that at Coils to Locs, having a positive, barrier-free experience while navigating this time in your life, is our top priority. Although we cannot promise that every insurance company will offset the cost of your coily, curly, highly textured wig—cranial prothesis—we are confident that the following steps will support you along the way.
Cranial Prosthesis, (Also Referred to as Hair Prosthesis)
Cranial prosthesis is the medical terminology used for “wig.” Common uses for a cranial prothesis include hair loss due to chemotherapy, alopecia and other medical conditions that result in temporary or permanent hair loss. Your insurance provider may require the phrase “cranial prosthesis”—or similar terminology—when applying for coverage.
Find Out if Your Cranial Prosthesis Is Covered by Insurance
- Find out if your policy covers the cost of a cranial prosthesis and how much of the cost is covered.
- Ask which specific kinds of cranial prosthesis are eligible (synthetic wigs, human hair wigs, etc.) and be sure to clarify the preferred terminology for your prescription. Example: Cranial prosthesis versus hair prosthesis.
- Ask what specific type of paperwork will you need to process your claim?
- Request a prescription for a “cranial prosthesis” or the preferred terminology required by your health insurance, (do not use the word “wig”) from your medical provider. You will very likely need to include the diagnosis code and the procedure code.
- Consider asking your medical provider to include a letter clarifying that your selected cranial prothesis is not for cosmetic purposes but rather, “medically necessary” for your emotional well-being.
- Keep copies of all your documentation. This purchase may qualify for a tax exemption, or you may need it for a future appeal.
At Coils to Locs, we are unapologetic in our efforts to help you remain your authentic self. Our collection of coily, curly, highly textured wigs for medical hair loss are here to do just that, keep you looking like you!